Monday, April 27, 2009

Forgive me for this rant...

We are trying to make this rental house as enjoyable as possible since we will be here a year more at least..I've got my raised beds going and when I water them, my kiddos wander out further down the driveway than I am comfortable with (we live on a busy main road)the best option we could figure was to put up a wooden fence across the driveway between our house and the neighbor's 6 ft. tall privacy fence.
Allen got to work on it yesterday and by this afternoon it was almost complete..and beautiful <3
So, the neighbor (the one with the privacy fence)came over to my house and told Allen that he was going to have to move the fence..they talked for a few minutes..she said she was afraid it would push her fence over and that she owned a foot of the grass that the fence is on..finally, when we weren't agreeing with her, she starts accusing us of being "ugly" and "yelling at her" then she proceeds to cuss at us very loudly while my kids ran around in the yard..I was furious and told her to get out of my yard. Allen finished the fence and we went inside..then, when we were pulling up at home from having dinner out, the neighbor, her son, HER neighbor and my grandfather (owner of our house)were all standing in my driveway..oh, gosh, it took everything I had to not spit on this lady at this point..I was seething with anger, frustration..you name it.
So, it was decided that Allen must move the fence b/c it is a foot onto her property line which is on our side of her 6 foot tall privacy fence. WE cut the grass on her strip of land..WE take care of it..it's on OUR side!!! She can't even see it from her yard!!! This, of course defeats the whole point of having the fence..if the foot is removed from the fence, our kids can just walk around the stupid thing. I am so disappointed and disgusted. We have been perfect neighbors to these people, even when their mentally handicapped son ran over my husband's foot while illegally driving his 4-wheeler..when they smoke pot and get loud and drunk at night over there on their side..even when their cat comes under the fence and digs and poops in my garden..we have never complained we have been great neighbors and now this...oh, Lord help me to keep my peace and be aware that when we get our house in the country with no neighbors, I will appreciate it even more.

2 comments:

Lora said...

Well, i vote for calling the cops whenever they smoke pot or get too loud. Sorry you had to deal with that. Stinky neighbors :(

giggleblue said...

a similar thing happen to my parents. their neighbors built a fence a foot into their property line and then when my dad had our fence back up to the neighbors, the neighbor got mad and started ranting about how part of their fence was on his property, since his fence was a foot into his property.

my dad had the property lines marked and sure enough it was. so given that the foot of grass on the other side of the fence belonged to the neighbor, my dad stopped mowing it. it grew up, and my dad reported them to the home owners association and then sued them for not maintaining their property.

the guy moved his fence to the property line within a few weeks. not saying my parent's approach was the right approach. especially considering they are buying, not renting, but none the less to let you know that neighbor problems are always crazy and stressful. if i ever brought a house, it would have to be miles away from everyone elses!!