Saturday, April 04, 2009

Longing for a God-fest.

Forgive me in advance for the long and wandering post...
Tonite I was listening to one of my all time favorite songs.

I have been having an unsettled feeling in church for the last few months. Our church is great, it is huge but there are plenty of small groups to get involved in. Our pastor really gives us lessons for life and our music is sometimes stellar...sometimes long and boring.
I am following a fantastic blog about a lady who is a rainbow person..forgive me for not being very familiar with it but the festivals that this group of people hold are awesome! They stay at least a week, maybe two in a beautiful setting camping and community cooking and just fellowshipping with one another..I'm sure there are drum circles and other festivities as well.
It made me think about how churches are so lacking in that aspect..it is why my friends who don't go to church aren't interested...it is a lack of a real life God.
I want to be involved in so much more than Sunday morning worship. I want to go to the mountains, down to the coast, heck, I'll even settle for a field in Lincolnton...I would love to be a part of a huge movement for God, an outpouring of love and the sense of a greater calling, there would be dancing, praising..the best music from anyone who wanted to play, God loves to rock :)
Our lives don't have to be so rule oriented, I want my kids to grow up seeing a God who loves to laugh, who appreciates all people and cultures, a God who loves all types of music and a God who fills us up with His Holy Spirit so that we can go out and water this thirsty world.
I am longing for a Woodstock for Christ.
We wouldn't talk about the stock market or how God can heal our broken homes and fix our broken pocketbooks..I mean, God can do all these things but the real question is what can we do for God? He didn't put us here to see who could become the most financially secure or log in the most tv time..He put us here to learn and teach the gospel so everyone can have the chance to love Him...I am disappointed in the church and myself.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Well as someone has attended a fair share of Rainbow gatherings - I'm all for it! You've been in my thoughts a lot lately!

Lora said...

Oh, it took me so long to catch up on your blog! Dude, I love this idea. I may even join a church if it was like that (given any thought to starting your own?!)